You may also like:
Kylie's Stuffed Chicken Bundle
The original idea came from an Alison Holst recipe book – I altered it to suit and made it for the first time for a bunch of friends who had come over a few years back for Christmas dinner. Made it again recently with some more changes and it was still an amazing dinner
4 sheets of Edmonds Flaky Puff Pastry sheets defrosted
Mushrooms sliced (I used 8 medium-large sized button mushrooms)
1T Olivani Olive Oil
1 medium sized onion diced
2 cloves garlic crushed
120g pack of spinach leaves
2T fresh parsley chopped up
1x 200g packet of feta
35g pine nuts (slightly dry roasted in the oven first)
8 sundried tomatoes sliced (optional)
Salt & Pepper
4 Chicken Breasts
1 egg beaten
Preheat oven to 180oC.
1. Dry sautee the mushrooms in a medium sized pan over a medium high heat, stirring often so they don’t burn.
2. Cook until natural juices have burned away. Remove mushrooms and put aside.
3. Heat oil in the same pan on a medium heat, add onion and garlic and cook until onion is almost translucent.
4. While this is cooking, put the spinach in a microwave bowl, cover and microwave for 1-2 minutes or until the spinach is wilted and the water has all but evaporated.
5. Add spinach, mushrooms, parsley, feta, pinenuts and sundried tomatoes to the onions.
6. Stir until combined and the feta begins to melt. Remove and leave to cool.
7. Slice Chicken breasts to form a pocket.
8. Once mixture has cooled, pack it into the chicken breasts.
9. Place one stuffed chicken breast in the middle of a pastry sheet on a diagonal and fold it around the chicken in any imaginative/decorative way you please . 10. Repeat with the other 3 breasts ensuring you press the edges firmly so they don’t separate in the oven.
11. If desired, you can use the left over pastry to make decorations on the pastry (I use cookie cutters as I am not very artistic!).
12. Brush the bundles all over with the beaten egg.
13. Place chicken on an oven tray (use one with sides and baking paper in case the bottom goes sogy – less to clean up!)
14. Cook for 45-60 minutes or until the pastry is a nice golden brown.